Saturday, September 5, 2009

What Matters? The People or the Sale

Have you noticed that whether we are email marketing or social marketing, we never take time to get to know our potential clients?

If you own a store and people come into the store, do you take the time to speak with them, find out a little bit about them, discuss what their preferred products are, or do you just start selling without taking consideration for what they may have come in to buy?

Does the customer really matter at all to you? They should. They are not just a client or customer, they are people.

So, assuming you do talk to your physical clients and customers, why is it we never go beyond the sales line in facebook, twitter, and email marketing.

I look at the number of emails I receive each day, 80% of them are saying exactly the same thing, making the same promises, and yet not one of those marketers even knows me. They have no idea, who I am, what I do, or what my beliefs are. They just keep saying the same thing everyday, hoping to make a sale.

How sad!!

Facebook helps keep in touch with friends and there is personal chatter, which you can choose to read or not read. But often the marketers just market - they don't take time to find out the personal stuff. Twitter lets you give bit and pieces of personal info - but who takes the time?

Now I am not suggesting that I belong to Twitter to find out all the juicy details of strangers. That would feel just a bit strange. But it is nice to read the one liners that give insight into beliefs, and interests of the people. What matters more to you - the people or the sale?

If you are following me, I do want to get to know you better. If I am following you, it is because something about your profile interested me - I would like more information.

Guess that is partly what this blog is about. The posts help you to get to know me better. In turn please share with me. It might just turn out, that we have services we can barter, trade or sell to each other, that will enhance the quality of life of each other. Wouldn't that be fantastic??

No comments:

Post a Comment