Friday, October 23, 2009

Being versus Getting

I am sitting with my thoughts, thankful for the peace, joy and health that exist in my world. Yet, I am uneasy with the thought that getting has become more important than being.

When did we start being measured by our houses, cars, incomes, vacations, clothing styles and designers....?

My inbox is filled with invitations to seminars, insisting that if I join the call I can make 6 figures, and my life will be transformed. I have listened to a few of these calls, out of curiousity. When they are over, I can't help but wonder how many people choose increased income over increased friendship, love, joy, health, and peace.

Don't misunderstand. I am not against high income, and the enjoyment that results from a good healthy cash flow. What is troubling me, is the feeling that the desire for material wealth has overtaken our desire to be of greater value to the world. I see so many who put money first, and never enjoy their lives. I see people who disregard even thier friends, family and clients, in order to gain the status of their peers. How Sad!

Should our power to manifest be used to amass material riches for ourselves, or should the manifestation be about creating more health, joy, love, peace and general abundance for all?

Somehow I believe that if we all used our power to bless others, then we would never have to ask for ourselves. Perhaps that is the proper interpretation of "It is better to give than to receive".

Just imagine what the world would be like if we all gave more value in service than what we receive in monetary exchange for goods or service? (This is an idea taken from The Science of Getting Rich) What if we sent more blessings of prosperity to our "competition", instead of trying to undercut them? What if we gave more to those who have nothing, instead of cramming our lives with material goods, we never use? What if more of us shared our blankets, clothing and food with the homeless? What would our world be like if we all chose our friends based on who they were, instead of how thier cash flow?

Who would you be if you had time to enjoy life, rather than spending your days seeking ways to "get more". Who would you be, if you were stripped of material worth? Who would you rather be?

No comments:

Post a Comment