Saturday, May 22, 2010

Illusion or Life

Secondary Title - God May Love the Sparrow - But he also loves it's predator

BIRDS FIGHT OVER ROAD KILL, DEER AND ANTELOPE RUN IN FEAR AT THE SOUND OF GUNSHOT, PLANTS SHRIVEL UP WITH LACK OF MOISTURE, AND DETERIORATE UNDER THE EFFECTS OF TOO MUCH RAIN. SNAKES LASH OUT WITH A VENOMOUS BITE AND BEARS ATTACK WHEN THEY OR THEIR SPACE IS THREATENED. SPIDERS WILL CURL UP IN A DEATH LIKE POSITION AS SHADOW OR LIGHT FALL OVER THEM.

It seems contradictory to me that our teachers will tell us that birds, insects and plants thrive in the love of their creator. Do they really feel completely in trust that they will be provided for? Do they give the impression that there is plenty for all? I think not.

In fact, if you spend the day in nature, you will find many defense mechanisms in place, you will notice adaptations of plants and animals trying to survive in less than perfect surroundings, you will be astounded by acts of territorialism. Study the behaviors of our animal friends. Many species battle until death to be the leader of their pack, and between species to control the lush green feeding areas. There does not appear to be guilt when killing to survive is a requirement.

Fox and coyote are well known for their trickster attitude, guiling their prey into peril. I wonder what they would do to the dove who tried to sit with them and explain that love is more important than the lunch they are plotting to have? What about the bear who stalks his prey to learn their patterns, in preparation for the kill? Isn't this premeditated murder? I wonder how our creator really feels about that?

Do you really believe the fresh new plants of spring just sigh and forgive when a blast of snow and frost freeze their newly forming blossoms? I know we do not see them kicking and screaming, nor can we read a post on facebook, expressing their disappointment, but do you really think they are expressing gratitude to their creator for this "lesson in life"?

Have you ever sat and watched as a Raven catches the wind and appears to soar as a hawk or an eagle? What happens then, if he swoops down to grab a mouse from the field? Could Raven survive as an eagle or a hawk?  We are constantly told by mentors and potential teachers that we can be anything and do anything we choose....  How can that be? If I do not have the talons and beak of an eagle, how can I live as an eagle? Without roots and branches, could I exist as a tree? There are many days I'd rather be my pet, but then again do I want to drink from a seldom washed plastic bowl on the floor?

Okay, I hear the voice of friends telling me to be realistic. I guess that is the point of the this writing - to get back to what is realistic. Within the realm of realism, there is a part of me that believes we can be and do anything. I am a believer that love is more important than dinner. I am often caught by fox and coyote, tricking me into buying another self-help program that will allow me to live the life of my dreams. Too often that has left me open to that blast of frost, killing my passion, my dreams and my finances. I wish I could be an eagle, in order to see the greater picture, but I accept the blessing of being able to watch the eagle soar above me..... Though I believe in the power of peace, I now have a better perception of the fight for survival and the need to be agressive from time to time, in order to preserve my identity and soul.

Several times a week I receive emails asking me to save animals or birds from extinction. I ask why there isn't more compassion for our own kind. We see our friends, neighbors and strangers losing their homes and jobs. We criticize them for not being prepared, not being financially savvy, and look down on them for their past mistakes. They are awarded poor credit ratings, and find it almost impossible to rebuild. The corporations who helped put them in this situation proudly sponsor a "Save the...." campaign, while sitting in judgement of a fellow human who is facing the loss of his habitat. Hmmmmm ..... Strange don't you think that we are willing to save a forest, the whales, seals and other wild life, but we have little time or finances to help our fellow man? Does survival of the fittest belong only to the human species?

I am glad that I was pushed to be more aware of nature - to study the birds, beasts and flora. Now I see that there should not be judgement of anger, fear, and survival mechanisms for they are as natural as the rising and setting of the sun. I may never condone the murder of another human, but there is less guilt when I trap a mouse who is invading my space, or kill the spider who refuses to stay in the garden killing bugs. It strikes me as how important it is for us to allow our lives to flow, rather than to force - for in doing so we too often try to become that which we were never meant to be. I can accept that I am human, and that there are limits to what I can do and be.  So now I wonder, "Am I a bookkeeper, pretending to be a healer, or a healer, pretending to be a bookkeeper or am I both?" Is this my balance - to see what is real, and believe in what I cannot see?

Can I believe that there is more than enough for all of us - that lack only exists in our minds? Once you have convinced the whales, seals, and polar bears, and rain forests, ask me again. Better yet, convince our governments that we are all created equal and deserve similar quality of life......

For now this is enough for me:  God sees the little sparrow fall, it meets his tender view. If God so loves the little birds, I know he loves me too...........

No comments:

Post a Comment